Ch-ch-changes.

I have risen from my figurative grave to let you know that yes, I am indeed alive. I took a little impromptu blogging break without meaning to, for many different reasons which I won’t get into right now, but I will tell you this: I was, and have been feeling, like my blog had been getting a bit stale lately.

The blogging community is an interesting one. It’s full of some very lovely, positive people with wonderful, colourful blogs. There are a few bad seeds, as there is in any community of people, but they are very much the minority and easy to avoid (thank god for the mute and block functions, amiright?!). I have still been fairly active on twitter, and I love nothing more than chatting to and getting to know other bloggers. That’s certainly not what I’ve been having issues with.

The reason I have been feeling a bit stale is because I have been comparing myself, and my blog, to others and their blogs. I’ve been swept in a haze of lifestyle blogs and all their glamour, and as great as they are, I’ve quickly realised it’s not me. I’ve also noticed that there seems to be an awful lots of the same kind of content floating around. Which sounds like I’m just slagging them off, but I swear I’m not, I have a point I promise.

Bottom line is, I’ve been trying too hard to fit the mould. I’m not a glamorous lifestyle blogger who gets invited to cool events, I don’t buy enough new make up to blog about beauty, or travel to enough interesting places to blog extensively about travel. What I’ve come to terms with is, that is completely okay. There are plenty of other people doing that, and I will be the first in line to cheer them on.

At the end of the day, I’m a writer. I may not do enough cool things or go to a lot of cool places, but I still have a mind and things to say. I don’t need to fit the mould, I just need to find other things to say.

One step I’ve taken towards this is booking a writing workshop from none other than Laura Jane Williams, an author I’m completely obsessed with because she writes like I wish I could write. Her workshop, How To Write Words That People Want To Read, sounds like the kick up the butt I need. She’s also recently launched a 12 week program called #AskTheQuestion, which actually begins today, where she picks apart her week and figures out what the core question is – and asks us it too. I’m looking forward to this, I’ll be using my blog as a platform (and maybe sometimes Instagram if I can find an ~aesthetically pleasing~ image that goes with the theme) to answer the questions, and really delve deep and flex my creative writing muscles.

On top of this, I’m also taking part in NaNoWriMo, and attempting to write 50,000 words of a novel, a goal I have been working towards since my post earlier in the year, The Fear (which FYI, is more the kind of thing I want to write on this). While I don’t want to reveal too much about the novel I’m writing yet, I will say that I’ve had this particular idea rattling around in my brain for a good eight or so years. It’s evolved a bit, taken in many different forms, but always felt it wasn’t quite ready. So now that I’ve had time to properly develop and flesh it out. This first week is going well, I’m very much looking forward to seeing it come to life on the page.

So watch this space, and look forward to some more honest and creative posts from me.

Tell me how you’ve been since I was away?

Follow me: Twitter | Bloglovinโ€™ | Instagram
Advertisements

24 thoughts on “Ch-ch-changes.

1. Katie says:

Ella I’m so impressed you’re doing NaNoWriMo! I actually started writing a novel in my creative writing class but no way could I do it completely in a month!

Loved this post โ˜บ๏ธ

Katie xx

Liked by 1 person

2. Eliza says:

Really liked this post – it is so easy to get swept away with blogging it’s hard to stay true to who you are! So exciting you’re going to write that much! I could never have the patience! x

Liked by 1 person

3. Sabreena says:

Awhh – this was heartfelt! Everyone’s unique and I understand where your coming from – I’m sure you’ve got some amazing posts and I can’t wait to catch up on them. Good luck on your 50,000 word novel – keep us updated!

Liked by 1 person

4. adriannecalgie says:

It’s too easy to compare yourself to other bloggers, especially if you’re feeling a bit stuck or like you’ve hit a wall- in my experience though it always makes me feel worse! It sounds like you’ve got some great ideas for developing your writing though- I look forward to seeing what you have to come! ๐Ÿ™‚

X

adalovelacex.wordpress.com

Liked by 1 person

5. Zoe Jackson says:

I contemplated attempting NaNoWriMo but the pressure gave me so much anxiety but I’m currently writing my own novel taking my time lol I would love to read your novel on that when you’ve finished ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

6. keepingupwithMJ says:

Girl we all have been there. We in the blogging community experience some much change that we just have to roll with the punches. I’m new to it (a couple months in) but I can relate. Keep those ideas coming and be prosperous girl!๐Ÿ’ž

Liked by 1 person

7. JustRere says:

I just found this post on Twitter and I am right there with you especially with the the glamorous blogs, but then I realize I’m unique this is my chance to put something out there that is different and true to myself. I followed btw, this post was so relatable I had too. I hope to update my blog here soon too. Hope you check it out

Liked by 1 person

8. Ashley says:

I am the same way about this. But I realized my blog is special because it shows who I am. Your blog is special because it’s who you are. Just remember that! I’m a work in progress but I’m starting to come out of my shell and not get discouraged anymore, that was my downfall.

-Ashley